Recent Summer Experiences for Truman Math Students
Click on the links for information about how they found their experience and what they did. See the Resources pages for suggestions on how to find opportunities like the ones listed below.
- Megan Folken was a Quality Assurance Intern at Hollister, Inc. in Kirksville, MO. She was intern there in the summer of 2015 and continued part time in the following school year and again full time in the spring of 2016.
- Megan Mange did an internship with the Boeing Corporation in St. Louis in the summer of 2015. Megan was an Engineering, Operations, and Technology (EO&T) Estimating & Pricing/Procurement Financial Analysis (PFA) Intern.
- Nolan Bright was an Actuarial Analyst at Willis Towers Watson in St. Louis during the summer of 2020.
- Rachael Miller was a Claims Configuration Intern at Centene Corporation in Town and Country, MO. Rachael did her internship in the summer of 2018.
- Camden Woods was an Actuarial Intern with Sun Life Financial in Kansas City in the summer of 2018. She worked with the Stop Loss Pricing Team.
- Evan Thierry was a Summer Actuarial Associate for Aetna in Overland Park, KS. He did his internship in the summer of 2018.
- Jo Datz was a Valuation Actuarial Intern at Kansas City Life. She did her internship in the summer of 2017.
- Allison Smith was a Health and Benefits Actuarial Intern at Mercer in Kansas City. She did her internship in the summer of 2017.
- Mitch Peterson was an Actuarial Intern at Zurich in Overland Park, KS. He did his internship in the summer of 2015.
- Tyler Beauregard participated in the Polymath REU, an online grouping of REU projects formed to supplement research experience for those who missed out due to COVID-19 during the summer of 2020. He studied the Explorer-Director game in graph theory.
- Kimberyln Eversman did a Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of North Carolina- Greensboro in the summer of 2018. In this mathematical biology project, Kimber studied the western honey bee and the varroa mite parasite that infects the honey bees.
- Tim Leafblad did a Research Experience for Undergraduates at Kansas State University during the summer of 2018. He studied invariants of welded knots.
- Alexis Vittengl participated in the Cross-institutional Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE) which is sponsored by the the Intercollegiate Biomathematics Alliance. She conducted her research in the summer of 2018 under the direction of faculty members from St. Francis University.
- Matthew Naeger did a Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse in the summer of 2017. Matthew studied zombie outbreaks using SIR models.
- Kelsey Lieberman did a Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in Mathematical Ecology during the summer of 2017. She also did one in Big Data Analytics at Washington University in St. Louis in the summer of 2018.
- Tatsuya Akiba was a math tutor for the SEE Program in the summer of 2018. The SEE Program provides an opportunity for incoming Truman students to get a head start on their coursework.
- Jennie Huynh was a preceptor in the Joseph Baldwin Academy (JBA) at Truman in the summer of 2017. JBA offers three week courses for students what have just completed 7th, 8th, or 9th grades. Jennie was a preceptor for the Science of Secrecy – a class on cryptological mathematics.
- Jeff Ciskwoski spent three summers working in the Joseph Baldwin Academy. He was a preceptor for a college algebra course in 2015, and in 2016 he was a preceptor for a computer programming course and for a cryptography course. During the summer of 2017, Jeff was the Health Director for the academy.